Mobile: 07773 508686
Ian is a former Chief Legal Officer and Company Secretary for both listed and private companies. While he has spent most of his career as a lawyer, he also has an MBA and has spent some time working as a strategy consultant.
Ian now works as a consultant, coach, trainer and facilitator. His previous in house experience has led him to develop an expertise in corporate governance, working with boards, leaders and lawyers on effectiveness, enhancement and performance. He spends much of his time reviewing and advising boards and management teams on structure, dynamics and how they can excel in leading their organisations. While his main focus is on FTSE 100/250 and major private companies he also works with professional services firms, public sector bodies and a number of charities and other not-for-profit organisations.
Ian also works with lawyers, both in-house and in private practice, on working more closely and effectively with their clients, encouraging lawyers to think of themselves as a business people first and lawyers second.
As a coach and facilitator, Ian is careful to listen and listen again in order to really understand clients and their objectives, challenges and aspirations. Ian is a keen writer and has written widely on the legal profession and on business generally.
- Sherwood member since 2018
- Adjunct Ashridge Hult Business School since 2017
- External evaluator of Boards of Directors since 2015
- Coach since 2014
- Leadership consultant since 2015
- Designed and taught on programmes for law and business for various bodies
- Governance consultant for major listed and private companies
- Openwork Limited – Interim Chief Legal Officer 2012 – 2014
- Allianz Global Investors – UK Interim Chief Legal Officer 2011 – 2012
- Wilkinson Group – Group General Counsel Company Secretary 2007 – 2010
- Perpetual plc – Group Legal Counsel and Company Secretary 1999 - 2002
- BA (Hons) History Bristol University 1987
- Diploma in Law City University 1988
- Inns of Court School of Law Bar Finals/Called to the Bar 1989
- ICSA Advanced Company Secretarial Practice (Distinction) 2000
- MBA Ashridge Business School 2003
- Coaching Development ICF Accredited Professional Coaching Skills Course 2014
- CEDR Accredited Mediator